Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

Nexus 4 and Android 4.4 Bluetooth Issues

Nexus 4 and Android 4.4 Bluetooth Issues - Stuck in a Server Closet
Usually I am pretty quick when it comes to updates. I like having the latest (just short of beta testing) and don't get bothered by the small stuff when it doesn't work. With Android it happens more often than not and even with having a Nexus device you can feel the priority level from Google with so many devices that have those lingering problems.

After updating to Kit Kat (4.4) I came across one of the few times that I actually regretted updating a device, and I haven't been the only one. Many people have even created a Google group surrounding one glaring issue in 4.4 (Link HERE) pertaining to Bluetooth and its reliability. I for one use it in my car daily, from streaming Pandora or making calls to family on the way home it's an easy and safe(ish) way to accomplish my tasks. Once I had upgraded to Kit Kat though it was another ball game entirely. From my phone crashing weekly, to being unable to turn on or off my Wifi or Bluetooth, to finally having my Bluetooth cut out every 30 seconds or so during phone calls drove me mad.

Like most people I went to Google and instead of doing a technical support call for help I searched for my issues instead. It lead me to the group (linked above) and after reading 8 pages (then) of user responses I came to two conclusions.

1. Google doesn't see the issue as high priority enough to fix out of cycle from another main release.
2. The only sure fire way to remove the problem was to flash back to 4.3.

I read up one some pretty helpful posts on flashing an older rom onto my Nexus and took a night to work through it. Though the page linked for instructions was lacking in some ways I was able to trail and error through commands and files from my Windows machine and flash the phone back successfully. After setting up my phone from scratch (I have it back up but never use it) I tested it out in the car the next day. All the issues I had were solved and found myself back in the land of peace and tranquility. I do miss some features of Kit Kat but none of which are more important to me than a working Bluetooth connection. Big thanks for everyone who posted and the mounds of solutions tried. Google never chimed in once, but like normal the Internet is there to save the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment