Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Latitude E6430s and its Biometrics

Latitude E6430s and its Biometrics - Stuck in a Server Closet
I received a brand new Latitude E6430s yesterday and found it great! Except for one thing....(there's always one thing isn't there?)...the fingerprint reader!

It wouldn't work and for the life of me I could not find out why.

I decided to call Dell Early Life Support (ELS for short) to resolve the issue. Being the first I imagine with this online hopefully Google will pickup on this and help someone else with the issue as well. Since we call can't wait on a phone for ELS to pickup....the on hold music was good though (*cough*)

The Fingerprint reader used to be access by a thing called Dell Control Vault...well thats been replaced (just in time too, I was getting used to making sure Control Vault was installed during Windows Deployments to get rid of unknown devices in the Device Manager)

You will now use software called Access. Yes just Access, sure its under the Dell folder called Dell Data Proection but if you search through the start menu just type in Access.

Follow the on screen prompts and register your finger prints (I would suggest more than one, you never know when a rabbid chipmunk might take off your finger). Configure your login options after that and you are good to go!

Now to make sure I install Control Vault....I mean Access from now on. This is just as bad as trying to remember a new password.

No comments:

Post a Comment