Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

A Necessary Investment for any IT Department

A Necessary Investment for any IT Department - Stuck in a Server Closet
After spending a night at work yesterday wondering why my iDrac system was not working on my ESX hosts I found that when ordering them I never upgraded to the iDrac chip. Boy what a huge waste of productivity, time and money not having those chips. What could have been a quick, stay at home and sleep filled night turned into just the opposite.

Why are iDrac/ILO and other Pre-Boot remote tools necessary?

The quick answer is time savings. Last night instead of remotely restarting the server or checking the virtual console for the issue I instead spent time gathering my equipment, driving to work (time and gas), diagnosing the issue on site then finishing my work, and finally driving back home (time and gas). Thankfully my trip is short, but many do not have that luxury. What amounted to last nights "service call" cost half the amount of an iDrac6 Enterprise card. How many more times this year will it happen? Hopefully none before I get my 2 cards ordered. In most cases these chips will pay for themselves in the first 2 years of ownership (based on my past experiences). A worthy investment in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment